Friday, July 13, 2012 | By: Rissa Webber

Making Magnets: A Tutorial

 
I don’t know what your fridge looks like (on the outside) but this is what mine looked like up until today.  

 We had an assortment of magnets – mostly free or super cheapy ones that bearly kept important and some not so important papers hanging.  Well the hubby recently made the comment about wanting some nicer magnets, so I went hunting around on Pinterest to see what I could find about making cute magnets.  I stumbled upon a variety of these bubble glass magnets that are so cute! 


 I looked around at the tutorials and decided that I could totally do this!  So off to the craft store I went to get my supplies.

To make these magnets you will need:
Glass beads (the large ones found near the floral dept of the craft store)
Cardstock or photos
Stickers or whatever embellishments you plan on using
Magnets
Clear glue
Scissors
Pencils
Hot glue and gun

Once you have all your supplies, you need to decide what you want your magnets to look like.  Do you want a color pattern or theme? Do you want to use pictures or scrapbook paper?  Do you want letters or numbers on the magnets?  How many magnets do you want to make?  I decided that I wanted to make the alphabet with a light blue/grey theme. One thing that is pretty important before beginning this project is that you have to trace and cut-out the paper for each glass bead because they are all shaped differently and that takes some time! 

 Lay down your glass bead on whatever paper you are going to use and trace around the bead.  Make sure you trace the underside of the bead so you don't have a whole bunch of extra paper around the outside of the bead.

   Cut out the part you traced, add the embellishment if you want, and then use your clear glue to glue the bead to the paper. Make sure you hold the bead and paper together for about 30 seconds to let the glue adhere.  
All that's left is to put a dab of hot glue on the magnet and glue it to the back of the glass bead an you are all finished!  

 As you can see, I decided to make some cute flower magnets too!
Here are some pictures of my finished product up on the fridge!  They are so cute and the hubby likes them too!  
Here they are in action!  They look so much better than what used to be up there!  

Happy Pinning!
PinterestRiss

0 comments:

Post a Comment